Should we be paying tithes to the church we attend?

There is much misunderstanding and apprehension, even acrimony, regarding the matter of tithes and offerings as it applies to those professing faith today. There are, however, simple, Biblical, godly answers to all questions and concerns for those who believe.
Rodney

Should we be paying tithes to the church we attend?

Post by Rodney »

(This is an archived correspondence at The Path of Truth. We have sent notification to the correspondent.)

I have a few questions.

Do you personally believe we should be paying tithes to the church we attend? The bible does not make it very clear on the subject. In the new testament, Paul never taught about paying tithes but he did teach to give what we decide in our hearts and to give freely. That does not sound like paying a 10% tithes on our income, to me.

I use to go to church. It was an apostolic church. I believed, and went to the altar many times and cried out to God, to receive the holy ghost and speak in tounges cause according to their belief, I needed to speak in tounges in order to be saved cause it was the evidence of having the holy ghost. The thing is, nothing ever came over me, like I would see, come over some of the people there. They would scream, dance, run, shake, speak in tounges uncontrollably but none of that ever happen to me. So I started practicing speaking in tounges, while I was alone cause I wanted to know God and have a deep relationship with him but I didn't know if I should have been doing that so I stopped doing it.

I really have a hard time understanding God's word, so does that mean, I will not make the first resurrection? I do read and try to grasp it but it is too confusing for me. I believe but at the same time, there are sins in my life, that I can't stop by myself and I ask God to take the sin out of my life but I still struggle.

Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk

Re: Should we be paying tithes to the church we attend?

Post by Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk »

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 MKJV
(14) Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers; for what fellowship does righteousness have with lawlessness? And what partnership does light have with darkness?
(15) And what agreement does Christ have with Belial? Or what part does a believer have with an unbeliever?
(16) And what agreement does a temple of God have with idols? For you are the temple of the living God, as God has said, "I will dwell in them and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."
(17) Therefore come out from among them and be separated, says the Lord, and do not touch the unclean thing. And I will receive you
(18) and I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Hi Rodney, the Lord is leading you.

You're right about tithes. Each should give freely as the Lord leads and as he purposes in his heart. The law of the tithe is no longer in force.

However, the word "tithe" is sometimes used to describe offerings brought to the Lord's servants, whether or not these offerings are regularly submitted as 10% of one's income.

Have you red about our experiences and understanding in the Lord on this matter at the section, Tithes & Offerings? These writings include experiences both inside and outside the manmade church system. They should help you - let us know if you have any questions after reading them. You may also read:

The Case for Coming Out
The Church
Counterfeit Christianity

One does not come to existence in this world by birthing himself. So with the birth of the Spirit. You don't become born again by producing the gift of the Spirit. You receive the Spirit, by God's work of grace, and then the gifts automatically come.

The doctrine of tongues in the apostolic church is a heinous, presumptuous, blasphemous one. You can be thankful that the Lord protected you from receiving devils while those in your church were attempting to make things happen, or that the Lord kept you from doing things so unpleasant in His sight. The manifestations you speak of are either people showing off or in emotional upheavals, or devils at work, or both.

Furthermore, tongues is not THE evidence of receiving His Spirit, as many Pentecostals and Charismatics claim. Of course there are incidents recorded in Acts where people spoke in tongues when they received the Spirit, but this doesn't happen in all cases.

And again, one receives the Spirit not because he speaks in tongues, but speaks in tongues because he has received the Spirit. Your denomination has the cart before the horse and causes much consternation and condemnation. Worst of all, they grievously offend the One Who purchased them with His blood.

Read The Baptism in the Holy Spirit and How One Is Saved. Read also wHaT tHe LoRd HaS dOnE wItH mE.

Rodney, you write, "I really have a hard time understanding God's word, so does that mean, I will not make the first resurrection? I do read and try to grasp it but it is too confusing for me."

The first resurrection isn't a prize we attain by knowing everything in the Scriptures, but is a gift we presently receive by knowing the Answer, that is, having intimacy with the Lord Jesus Christ.

"But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin" (1 John 1:7 MKJV).

Didn't Solomon have great understanding of the Scriptures, yet what good did that do him and his kingdom when he stopped walking in the love of God and departed from the light?

"And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing" (1 Corinthians 13:2 ESV).

Understanding that brings life comes by faith and obedience, walking with God through necessary trials and tribulation:

"Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried. But the wicked shall do wickedly. And none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand" (Daniel 12:10 MKJV).

You continue: "I believe but at the same time, there are sins in my life, that I can't stop by myself and I ask God to take the sin out of my life but I still struggle."

Read Obedience, Grace - The Reality, The Good News, The Bane of Bitterness, Forgiveness, Repentance, and Confession of Sin.

"And you shall seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13 MKJV)

Pray, read the Scriptures, ask the Lord for everything you need, believe/trust Him, read those links. Ask Him for childlike faith. Men have complicated your mind and heart. Ask, and we ask, that the Lord clear the way home for you.

Victor and Paul

Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I have to tell you, that I was really enjoying reading your teachings but that was until I starting reading your false teacher section. You know the one where you guy's try to humiliate L. Ray Smith? What was the reason for you to keep on and keep on at him. That shows me that you do not have the right spirit within you. I know that this was a while back ago but whatever problem you had with Mr. Smith's teaching, should have been between the two of you and not publicly displayed on your site. You were harrasing him and you should be ashamed of yourself. I noticed you never answered his questions when he stated.... Show me, in my teachings.... Who are you to believe that everybody has it wrong and your right? I think you should humble yourself and repent. You are suppose to be helping people to understand the gospel.

You understand everything quite well, and how you know that is because you have your own personal superior judgment to guide you, and what better judgment is there, Rodney?

Perhaps we should take your authoritative word for it, trust you explicitly as God's own mouthpiece, and do exactly what you say. Opinion is one thing questionable, but not Rodney Evans', right? Who are we or anyone else to differ with you, since you are the only being in the universe who doesn't need to provide facts or substance?

Victor & Paul

Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Well, I call it like I see it. I too, will call a spade a spade but I will not go out of my way to publicly humiliate anyone, as your site has done to so many. Very distasteful and I don't think God would have us representing him this way or his word. I don't see any reason to put myself above everyone else's teaching and that is what your site does. I would like to see a list of TRUTH TEACHERS on your site. Any chance of seeing that???? Or are you the only one who has the knowledge of God's word???

Rodney, of course you call it like you see it. Isn't that what we just finished telling you - and that you believe the way you see it is the way it is? Of course you do!

Why, you're just like John the Baptist, aren't you, who humiliated people right out of the gate coming to him to repent and be baptized:

Luke 3:7-9 MKJV
(7) Then he said to the crowd that came forth to be baptized by him, O generation of vipers! Who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
(8) Therefore bring forth fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say within yourselves, We have Abraham for our father. For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.
(9) And now also the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bring forth good fruit is cut down and cast into the fire.

One of you comes around only once in 2000 years, right? We need to pay attention, we brood of vipers do. Rodney's talking!

Are you one among many having "the knowledge of God's Word???" or are God's true servants few and far between? Do you know, Rodney?

"Yet when the Son of Man comes, shall He find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8 MKJV)

Victor & Paul

Return to “Tithing”