HELP

“Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand” (Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15). Repentance is where it all begins.

To read our paper on repentance you can go here.
Derek

HELP

Post by Derek »

(This is an archived correspondence at The Path of Truth. We have sent notification to the correspondent.)

Hi my name is derek. About a month and a half ago I was watching a follower of jesus' channel on youtoube and he said that smoking cigarettes would bring you to hell. For years I have smoked cigarettes and drank, and even smoked a lot of pot. My whole life I have considered myself a christian walking in faith. Anyways I made the decision to quit smoking that night and decided to have one last cigarette. Before i puffed it i heard a voice in my head saying that if smoke that cigarette I'd never enter the kingdom of heaven. Im not sure if I made up this voice in my head because I felt guilty smoking it or if it was satan or if it was god. When i think about it, it gives me tons of anxiety. my head tells me it was god. because I was enlightened to the fact that smoking is evil. And thoughts come into my mind of essau and how he sold his birthright for a bowl of soup. It just terrifies me to think that maybe that was a message from god. Ever since that night I have turned from tobacco, and from alcohol and pot. its been 2 months now and i have no desire to return to those things. But i still get very scared that the voice may have been from god, and that I'm eternally doomed. I desperately seek jesus. I love the lord and what is good. I don't feel saved but at times i do. Can you give me your opinion on this matter.

P.S. I have to say since that voice in my head, I have become very humbled, and emersed myself in the word of god. I have also asked god for forgiveness of a lot of the evil that I have done over the years. I sincerely want to change my life and be a child of god.

Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk

Re: HELP

Post by Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk »

Hi Derek,

Ever since that night I have turned from tobacco, and from alcohol and pot. its been 2 months now and i have no desire to return to those things.

I would say that's good, wouldn't you? The same goes here:

I have to say since that voice in my head, I have become very humbled, and emersed myself in the word of god. I have also asked god for forgiveness of a lot of the evil that I have done over the years. I sincerely want to change my life and be a child of god.

Do you really believe that the Lord doesn't want you to continue in what's good for you, and to seek Him with all your heart?

And what does the Lord say about the one who turns to Him? “The one who comes to Me I will in no way cast out” (John 6:37 MKJV).

Can you do this of yourself or by your own willpower?

Romans 10:6-9 MKJV
(6) But the righteousness of faith says this: “Do not say in your heart, Who shall ascend into Heaven?” that is, to bring Christ down;
(7) or “Who shall descend into the deep?”; that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.
(8) But what does it say? “The Word is near you, even in your mouth and in your heart”; that is, the Word of Faith which we proclaim;
(9) Because if you confess the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

You weren't a Christian in previous times, walking in faith as you say of yourself. If you were, you wouldn't have been a slave to cigarettes, alcohol, pot, and the things of this world. Being addicted to cigarettes IS hell. The Lord has come to deliver His children from hell, the world and its vices. We become new creatures in Christ.

This deliverance and miraculous work is His doing. It's His righteousness expressed through us by faith in Him, His gift, the Kingdom of God on earth here and now. So take heart in Him, Derek, the Lord Jesus Christ Whom we preach, and ask for His gift of faith whereby you'll know Him as your Savior. Read our teachings, testimonies, and as much as you can of the things He has given us that are wholesome food for your instruction in godliness and faith.

“But if the wicked will turn from all his sins which he has committed, and keep all My statutes, and do justice and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. All his transgressions that he has done, they shall not be mentioned to him; in his righteousness that he has done he shall live” (Ezekiel 18:21-22 MKJV).

What have you red on our site so far? Any questions? If you will truly love the Lord and walk with Him, know that it will cost you your life. Read The Cross - Only the Death Sentence Will Avail. We're here to assist all pilgrims of His cross, by His grace.

Are you aware that God was once going to destroy Ahab, the most wicked of the kings of Israel but when he repented, God spared him? And when he turned to his sin again, God destroyed him. Yes, God was going to destroy you, for it WAS His voice, but in repentance, He spared you. That's what one calls grace...undeserved mercy.

1 Kings 21:25-29 MKJV
(25) But there was none like Ahab, who sold himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up.
(26) And he did very abominably in following idols, according to all that the Amorites did, whom the LORD cast out before the sons of Israel.
(27) And it happened when Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes and put sackcloth on his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth and walked softly.
(28) And the Word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying,
(29) Do you see how Ahab humbles himself before Me? Because he humbles himself before Me, I will not bring the evil in his days. But in his son's days I will bring the evil on his house.

Read all of 1 Kings 21.

Derek, regardless of what you may have heard at one time, the Lord has given you a conscience of sin and the desire to repent of it, which is what you've done. We know of no other entity besides God who cares to do anything like that for anyone. How about you?

He hasn't destroyed you, has He? Stay on the road where the Lord has placed you. Endure to the end and you will be saved. Doing right, you can't fail, and neither will God fail you.

Paul and Victor

Derek

Post by Derek »

I do feel better, and I feel like god is walking me back into faith. I was reading romans last night and i feel like god was showing me how to walk in faith. I still do get very scared that god has condemned me, or rather that I condemned myself by smoking that cigarette. I stilll am not 100% sure that it was the voice of god. I may have inserted that voice in my head because i felt so guilty. But either way god has let me come to this fear. Im scared that I only quit smoking and drinking because I'm scared and not because I love god. I do take comfort in that nobody is drawn to god but by god.

Derek

Post by Derek »

I actually feel like the lord has delivered me from this. He has spoken to my heart, and I feel free

Derek, you need to know that neither you nor any person loves God. If we loved God, then why did He need to send His Son to save us? Here's what the Scriptures, compiled by Paul, say about all men:

Romans 3:9-23 MKJV
(9) What then? Do we excel? No, in no way; for we have before charged both Jews and Greeks all with being under sin,
(10) as it is written: "There is none righteous, no not one;
(11) there is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God."
(12) "They are all gone out of the way, they have together become unprofitable, there is none that does good, no, not one."
(13) "Their throat is an open grave, with their tongues they have used deceit, the poison of asps is under their lips;
(14) whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness;"
(15) "their feet are swift to shed blood;
(16) destruction and misery are in their way,
(17) and the way of peace they did not know."
(18) "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
(19) But we know that whatever things the Law says, it says to those who are under the Law; so that every mouth may be stopped and all the world may be under judgment before God,
(20) because by the works of the Law none of all flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law is the knowledge of sin.
(21) But now a righteousness of God has been revealed apart from Law, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets;
(22) even the righteousness of God through the faith of Jesus Christ, toward all and upon all those who believe. For there is no difference,
(23) for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God,

So do continue in “the righteousness of God through the faith of Jesus Christ” (it's His faith, not yours, which is a gift to you). Fear God (invest the “talent” granted you) and live, as He wills for you.

“Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?” (Ezekiel 18:23 ESV)

Derek, here's a question to ponder for your sake: Precisely what do you mean when you say, “God has spoken to my heart”? Explain, please.

Paul and Victor

Derek

Post by Derek »

Well Ive been feeling really down for about a month or so now, and I've been praying to the lord for revelation on this issue. I went to church the other day and the sermon seemed to be aimed right at me. I felt really good when i left church. I felt like god had shown me since I returned to him, and repented that I was forgiven and his judgement over me was changed. But i have to say later that night i felt like i should start a fast. So i prepared food at night as a sort of last feast before my three day fast, and i felt guilty. SO i prayed about it and started to eat, once ate some i had another intrusive thought that said "now i will never free you from this". My plan was to fast for deliverance from religious ocd, and condemning thoughts. So I'm not really sure how to answer your questions. I want to be right with the lord.

Derek, these words, “now i will never free you from this,” are not from God but from a condemning spirit. You're talking to yourself in unbelief. Go on with your fast to be delivered, but don't put your trust in your fasting or your prayer. Put your trust in the Lord Himself. Your fasting and prayer are only instruments, vehicles to Him Who Is the Answer.

Victor and Paul

Derek

Post by Derek »

I'm trying so hard to get closer to christ and I'm just full of anxiety and fear. I can't tell if I'm being led by the holy spirit or not. Its like I feel guilty/convicted because I own a shot gun that my dad gave me, and can't tell if its the holy spirit telling me to sell it because i coveted it, or if its the devil. If i sell it it would break my dads heart, and iv repented for coveting the object, and honestly i like the shotgun a lot, but I'd give it up for jesus. the story of the rich man keeps being brought to mind.

Derek, “Trying so hard to get closer to christ” is your own works, not God's, which is why they aren't working and are making your life miserable, even intolerable. You're not going by faith at all. Here's what you're doing, as posed by the following questions:

Romans 10:6-7 MKJV
(6) But the righteousness of faith says this: "Do not say in your heart, Who shall ascend into Heaven?" that is, to bring Christ down;
(7) or "Who shall descend into the deep?"; that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.

Here's what you should be doing instead:

Romans 10:8-11 MKJV
(8) But what does it say? "The Word is near you, even in your mouth and in your heart"; that is, the Word of Faith which we proclaim;
(9) Because if you confess the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.
(10) For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation.
(11) For the Scripture says, "Everyone believing on Him shall not be put to shame."

Haven't you heard?

“Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 MKJV).

What happened to your fast? You haven't believed or listened to anything we've told you so far, have you? You also aren't availing yourself of our site or the answers God has provided there. So what more can or should we say to you?

Derek, we have no time to waste and neither do you. Pay close attention to what we say, believe and obey.

Paul and Victor

Derek

Post by Derek »

I made a blasphemous statement in my head today, and I am very scared that I have blasphemed the holy ghost, I worry about it and it gives me anxiety. Can someone accidentally blaspheme? and does someone who does worry about it later?

Derek, you've been in great unbelief. Your whole state of being is an offense to God, so you're straining out a gnat while swallowing a camel.

Without faith, it's impossible to please Him - you're still depending on your righteousness, which is hell, the haunt of devils. The Lord will deliver you when you turn to Him.

So do we or does God condemn you? Not at all - He brought you here to point you to the Way out, Himself. Read our letters again and read our site (have you been reading there?). If you don't avail yourself of what God has already granted you, how can you advance in faith?

Paul and Victor

Return to “Repentance”