Trying to make bread without flour

“Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand” (Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15). Repentance is where it all begins.

To read our paper on repentance you can go here.
RIch

Trying to make bread without flour

Post by RIch »

(This is an archived correspondence at The Path of Truth. We have sent notification to the correspondent.)

Dear Paul & Victor,

I hope I find you well.

I just wanted to write to express my gratitude to you (and yes, as I'm sure you'll point-out, it is far more appropriate to express my gratitude to YHVH for you - which believe me, I have done) for your excellent ministry. In recent days it has been a constant source of a much-needed challenge \ wake-up call in my life.

I ought to introduce myself. My name is Rich, I first begun to understand something of YHVH's truth just over three years ago, and have been learning more and more about Him in the intervening time. I came to know about Yehoshua ha'mashiycha very quickly and came to know that He alone was my hope, and that apart from Him I had nothing. I think that you could say that I knew that as well as I do now by June 2012. You'll notice that I said "know about", because that was, and to a fair extent still is, all I do - if I claimed "I know Him" right now that'd be a lie.

I first encountered your website perhaps 6 months ago, and was immediately struck by the wealth of knowledge which you both have, as well as your perseverance in the face of and proper reaction to adversity. It was no surprise to read the opprobrium which your opponents have thrown at you - I had experienced much of it towards many of those from whom I had learned previously. People who love falsehood rarely like to be confronted with the truth. I rarely particularly enjoy it when it confronts beliefs which I had previously held tenaciously, but I praise God that He has permitted me to have a longing for truth which generally outdoes that before too long.

Anyway, by the time I first read your website I had already learned of many of the truths which you preach - about the importance of good diet and the difficulty of achieving it (I understood that a while before I came to know of Christ); about Christ as the lone Saviour; about the impossibility that works can save us; about the fact that God still speaks and works through His servants; that the notion that God intends to burn anyone forevermore, and that this leg of life is the only chance to acquire a saving faith, are despicable lies; about the importance of turning from sin IMMEDIATELY rather than merely "getting to Heaven after we die"; about how wildly mistaken many who think themselves believers are about the relevance of God's law today; about the rank and disgusting hypocrisy of many bands of self-professed believers; and many other things besides.

Yet I have largely remained, to borrow one of your previously-used metaphors, in a state where I have been trying "to make bread without flour". I know many truths - I love logic, which is a powerful tool which God has given to us to use appropriately and which He has seen fit for me to possess in abundance; I read Greek fairly proficiently and can consequently see through many religious traditions which humans have put into translations which are apparent by their absence in the original languages. Yet I have always, in truth, been aware of the fact that I have made little effort to overcome my fleshly desires for adulation of humans, and several other sinful desires. I constantly find myself desiring to preach this truth and be congratulated for it; to see men regard me as intelligent and knowledgeable. In three years, I have never really done long, hard self-reflection and rethought my sinful nature, and submitted myself entirely and completely to God.

At best, I have been dimly aware of these remaining sinful tendencies and have put away some of the easier issues - no more. Why? Because it's very difficult to submit oneself to God fully and completely. I like to know that God will forgive my sins (who doesn't?); I understand that I'm a sinner in need of salvation. And make no mistake, God has changed me already - right up to the months before my conversion, I was an unhindered liar; immediately after my conversion, I found that I was no longer able to lie. Yet it is this matter, of turning COMPLETELY from sinfulness and offering genuine, FULL rethought (repentance), which your writings have challenged me on most in the last few days. I have been forced to confront the fact that God detests sin, and does not take it lightly (which I knew, but it is one thing to know something and another to act on it). "Better" is not good enough for YHVH. It is not OK for me to profess that I want to be a follower of Christ and not to take-up the cross every day, to submit to Him in everything. Yes, God has done His side of the deal, but I must do mine as well. To date, I have done part of it and no more. I have heard directly from God once or twice. Yet I know that there are those who hear Him constantly, and work miracles in the name of Christ constantly.

I intend, in the coming weeks, to spend some serious time seeking God and attempting to buffet myself into true submission to Him. When I manage this (and it is when - God leaves no-one in an unregenerate state forever), in truth it will be for the first time. I have little doubt that God has sent several circumstances across my path the last week - my most recent visit to your website included - which has led me to confront this inadequacy in myself. I praise Him that He shall one day bring all of us into the state of perfection - but I am in no doubt that I myself don't want to wait any longer than I need to wait.

And I thank the two of you for the part which you have played in confronting my unregenerate nature. God wants the best for all of us, and I want the best for myself. But I won't get it for as long as I fail to devote myself fully to Him. I intend to continue to use your ministry to keep myself in line - and, doubtless, to learn on doctrinal matters which I have yet to consider.

May He abundantly use you to spread His truth in future. I hope in my lifetime to see ungodliness in the church and in the world be fought back against. And I hope to play my own part in that, in whatever way He wills.

I also hope that yourselves and myself can combine fruitfully in whatever ways He sets-up for us, in this leg of life and the next. I am privileged to be able to call you my brothers in Christ. And please feel free to use this correspondence on your site in any way you wish.

In Him
Rich

Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk

Re: Trying to make bread without flour

Post by Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk »

Hi Rich; welcome to The Path of Truth,

You have come to us expressing appreciation of the Lord's work here. May you receive the faith and counsel you need in order to move forward in His will, according to His grace and power.

There is a theme of self-dependence running throughout your letter as you describe your shortcomings and sin, as if you can overcome these things by sheer willpower and determined action. For example, you write:

I intend, in the coming weeks, to spend some serious time seeking God and attempting to buffet myself into true submission to Him. When I manage this (and it is when - God leaves no-one in an unregenerate state forever), in truth it will be for the first time.

That's not the way things work with God. True repentance, where God takes over our lives, is a gift from Him, not a work of the flesh. And though you strive mightily in the flesh in many works, you'll never arrive at your goal, because the flesh cannot be perfected.

“Which things indeed appear like wisdom in self-imposed worship, and humility, and severity to the body; but aren't of any value against the indulgence of the flesh” (Colossians 2:23 WEB).

“Those who are in the flesh cannot please God” (Romans 8:8 ESV).

Consider whom the Lord regards, Rich, and humble yourself.

“And standing afar off, the tax-collector would not even lift up his eyes to Heaven, but struck on his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner! I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself shall be abased, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted” (Luke 18:13-14 MKJV).

“For though the LORD is high, He regards the lowly, but the haughty He knows from afar” (Psalms 138:6 ESV).

You say:

It is not OK for me to profess that I want to be a follower of Christ and not to take-up the cross every day, to submit to Him in everything.

Of course you're right, but how do you get there? Do you know what the cross is? Read Obedience and The Cross - Only the Death Sentence Will Avail.

Instead of trying to overcome your sins on your own, you need to confess and forsake them. There's a big difference. Read and you will see, Lord willing.

By what you tell us, Rich, we can see the Lord has brought you here for good, to show you the right way. Don't be afraid or draw back. Embrace discipleship on His terms, the only acceptable and effective ones.

You're going to have to let go of your carnal notions of discipleship and service to the Lord:

Yet I know that there are those who hear Him constantly, and work miracles in the name of Christ constantly.

God isn't constantly talking or working miracles as you think. It's true our very lives of faith are a constant miracle, by which we overcome the world, but that's not what you're talking about. John, the greatest of men born of women, performed no miracle. Abraham, our father in the faith, went long periods without hearing directly from God. By your standards, these men's lives were failures or shortchanged, but that's not the case at all or the way to look at things.

Beware: Seek the Lord alone, to know and obey Him, and not for powers, experiences, or achievements. These latter things are all snares laid out by the Devil, which he gladly provides for those who don't love the Truth, the Lord Jesus Christ, with all their hearts.

Stay in touch, Rich. Sign up on the forum, receive our email responses to inquiries and complaints (ask, and I'll put you on the list), attend the Sabbath meetings online (ask, and we will send you instructions) - take advantage of what the Lord has provided for all those who love His appearing.

Paul & Victor

RIch

Post by RIch »

Dear Paul (and Victor),

Thank you for the personal reply to my correspondence - it is hugely appreciated. You are entirely correct that I remain in a state where I am over-reliant on self, and have yet to fully embrace discipleship on His terms alone. It is this more than anything which I need to overcome at the present time, and which I won't be able to do without God's input. I intend to ask, and I pray that He grants me it soon. Certainly, I won't be able to achieve it alone.

You are also correct that the notions of discipleship which I expressed are off-base - with hindsight, "hear Him constantly" and "work miracles in the name of Christ constantly" was certainly the wrong way to say it. Perhaps a better way would be "open to hear Him constantly, and open to work miracles in His name whenever He might choose".

I'd be delighted to sign up for the Sabbath meetings which you hold on your website - please do send me the instructions. I recently read Victor's personal testimony on how observance of God's Sabbath (rather than man's substitute) brought fulfillment where Sunday-keeping never had done, and I look forward to experiencing it. And yes, please put me on your mailing list. I shall sign up on the TPOT forum as soon as I can do.

Thank you again for contending for His truth,

Rich

Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk

Post by Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk »

Hi Rich,

How are things going since you last heard from us and started receiving our letters? We didn't see you at the past Sabbath meeting, so the natural question to ask is whether you've gotten cold feet after reading more of our materials. That happens with many.

But we assume nothing and will wait to hear back from you.

The walk of faith is one of going from dependence on self to dependence on God. In the latter we're open to Him continually because committed to His will by His gift of faith. Miracles are the way of life (though not limited to the sensational type men think of in their carnality).

A writing for you to read: The Mark of the Beast and the Seal of God.

Paul & Victor

RIch

Post by RIch »

Dear Paul,

No, I certainly haven't gotten cold feet, though I have continued to read more of your teachings - and to re-read others. Rest assured, they continue to be of great relevance to me as I seek to move onto the path of true discipleship - the Lord has impacted me through you in a way which I am quite sure will leave an indelible mark. I think I read a piece on the same subject as the piece which you sent me a few weeks ago, but I shall certainly read that this evening - if I recall correctly, what Victor said about the mark of the beast answered one or two things which I had hitherto yet to work-out to any real satisfaction. I have also read all of the correspondence material which you have sent me the past week and much of it has been informative.

I must apologise for my non-show at last Sabbath's meeting - I had intended to join you but was unable to do. Lord willing, I'll join you this coming Sabbath, and I look forward to it. I might not be able to stay for the whole meeting - as Sara correctly surmised, I reside in the UK, and 6 hours would take me to 1AM, which is quite late, but the Lord quickens us where we require it, so it's eminently possible.

In Him,
Rich

Victor Hafichuk

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

Hi Rich,

No need to remain at our meetings for the full length. People come and go all the time. Some are 2 or more hours late, some come in and are soon gone, and some stick it out for 8 hours. All Lord willing; no problem. Continue to read the Scriptures with our site and if you have questions or comments, don't be reticent to communicate them.

\/

Return to “Repentance”