Josiah's Trumpet Band

Letters and correspondence regarding music from TPOT. A full list of songs can be found here.
Paul Cohen

Josiah's Trumpet Band

Post by Paul Cohen »

An interesting fellow named James Rapalje recently wrote to us and we happened to notice as an aside that he mentioned having some music. So we googled and found his website:

Josiah's Trumpet Band

We'd be interested in hearing your feedback on the music and lyrics.

Thank you!

Paul

Beryl Knipe

Re: Josiah's Trumpet Band

Post by Beryl Knipe »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing this important link. From my side, I'll say that I really, really enjoyed the three I listened to. I love singing... always have, always will.The background music is quiet and soft and doesn't drown out the singer's voice; he has a calm, soothing voice, much like Victor's voice is soothing, clear and to the point (not looking for brownie points) :)

I found this list on Wiki: .

List of Christian country artists
List of Christian dance, electronic, and techno artists
List of Christian hardcore bands
List of Christian performers of hip hop and rap
List of Christian metal artists
List of Christian rock bands
List of Christian punk bands
List of Christian ska bands
List of Christian vocal artists
List of Christian worship music artists
List of gospel musicians

There must be thousands of "Christian" bands all over the globe, so, my feeling is, if most youngsters, say, between the ages of 16 - 30 and over, listen to and go nuts for hip-hop, hard rock, reggae, punk, new age etc - that age group probably wouldn't bother listening to Josiah. If they do enjoy him... wonderful!

So, to start up a TPOT band (which would attract people to Seek the Lord in all things) it would have to be very different from everything that's "out there." Again, just offering up what type of music I've enjoyed, sung and listened to, most of my life, are artists such as, for example, Anne Murray. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlX4_2qWml8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, these are my thoughts on Josiah's Trumpet Band.

Beryl.

Rachel Gerrard

Post by Rachel Gerrard »

I like what I have listened to. What stood out most was the organ in the background which beefed out the texture. Also the vocals seems to be double tracked sometimes which I like (two lead vocals recorded and then put together as if he is singing with himself). I also like the harmony layers all the way through the lead vocal line, rather than backing vocals. I like the overall sound.

Dan Lysthauge

Post by Dan Lysthauge »

Hi,

I listened to one song in its entirety, "Thy Holy Spirit".

What I heard is a song that is trinity based.

I also noticed a few songs with people's names next to them, such as Zander, who is a false teacher.

Dan
Dan Lysthauge

William Woeger

Post by William Woeger »

I clicked on many songs, but didn't listen to any of them to completion.

I can appreciate that the man has his own unique singing voice. Kind of low and soft. Not really strong.

He also seems to have talent, perhaps with the keyboard? And computer software, I imagine - all to make the music he sings to.

I don't believe I found much of any substance in his lyrics.

As it now stands I can't say any of the songs I listened to really took ahold of me.

W

Ronnie Tanner
Forum Admin

Post by Ronnie Tanner »

I listened to a few songs.

I liked In a World of Pain and Heartache both the tune and a chunk of the lyrics, particularly "it's good to give thanks, unto The Lord, lift up your voice, praise Him everyone, praise Him for what He's done, He's good."

I also listened to "That Aint Me" and "Thy Holy Spirit".

In "That Ain't Me" the chorus, speaking of dealing with condemnation, goes as follows:

That ain't me, I'm a new creation
That ain't me, I was changed at Calvary
That ain't me, That's my former life
That ain't me, for I am hidden with Christ

That ain't true. It IS us. "We are the man." There is no escaping that through mental incantations and repetitive prayers or songs. I see these lyrics as fruit from The False and Misleading Gospel of Accepting Jesus.

Later on in the song:

"repentance doesn't mean, to quit all your bad stuff, it means to change your mind about who you are"

The Lord said quite the opposite to the man He healed.

Afterward Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, Behold, you are made whole. Sin no more lest a worse thing come to you. (John 5:14)

When folks asked John what he meant about repentance he didn't tell them to "change their mind about who they were." He spoke to the heart and gave simple, straightforward instructions.

Luke 3:10-14
(10) And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?
(11) He answered and said to them, He who has two coats, let him give to him who has none. And he who has food, let him do likewise.
(12) And tax-collectors also came to be baptized and said to him, Teacher, what shall we do?
(13) And he said to them, Continue to do no more than that commanded to you.
(14) And the soldiers also asked of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said to them, Do not forcibly extort anyone, nor accuse any falsely. And be content with your wages.

In "Thy Holy Spirit" some lyrics that caught my attention:

"Let that same Spirit, that raised Christ from the dead, dwell in you" and
"let His Spirit dwell in you"

That's man on the throne, declaring control over God.

It's not about "letting" the Lord dwell in you but rather simply obeying in what He's already given you.

And we are His witnesses of these things. And so also is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him. (Acts 5:32)

Marilyn Hafichuk

Post by Marilyn Hafichuk »

Amen, Ronnie!

I appreciated Dan's insights, too.

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

Yes, amen, Marilyn. I smelled The Deadly Error of the Universalists in the remark refuted by Ronnie:

"When folks asked John what he meant about repentance he didn't tell them to 'change their mind about who they were'."

That's another gospel and way of entering Heaven powered and focused on the will of man, which doesn't end well.

By the way, Jim wrote to us on account of our Martin Zender posting. Jim agrees with us and had some original observations and remarks that we'll be sharing with you as soon as we reply.

Edwin Romero

Post by Edwin Romero »

I've been listening to Josiah's Band as I write, plus others I heard when the link was given. No doubt there's some talent there, and they don't really sound presumptuous to me, regardless of errors in their lyrics.

I cannot say it's the particular music style I prefer, but it sounds good, and they surely conceived what they thought was true worship unto the Lord, in all sincerity; but then again, we know how far our sincerity can get us...

By the way, we had a gathering at my home yesterday with all of our group in Honduras. We shared a wholesome lunch first, and then we started talking about this subject on worship music. At first, I thought we wouldn't be able to sing anything together. It was like people, including me, felt awkward after so long without singing in a gathering.

I told them it has much to do with what is recorded in Revelation 18:22 "And the voice of harpers, and of musicians. and flutists, and of trumpeters will be heard no more at all in you..."

We used to sing all the time in our churches, some good songs and some really bad ones. Now it's like we do need to depend on the Lord if we want to sing something as unto Him, and not for our pleasure.

I then connected my laptop to the TV screen and showed a few videos of music on Youtube. For some moments, we could see and talked about the obvious errors in "Christian music" we used to sing. It was pretty interesting how the false was exposed now that we have heard the Truth.

Then I put a video of "Amazing Grace" in Spanish, with piano, and I played along with my guitar, for practice, (or ruined it maybe :oops: ). It was an interesting experience, though, where all could appreciate and feel the reality of what was being sung. It was actually exciting, like they said, especially because it wasn't part of a program or a routine, and certainly not to have fun, but we did have fun!

We then played a few more songs of Hispanic origin with pretty sound lyrics, karaoke style. It was refreshing! We all were thankful, hoping to take some other time soon, as the Lord leads.

If you appreciate Spanish singing, here's the link of the video I used for "Amazing Grace." https://youtu.be/por9HkuwyAI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beryl Knipe

Post by Beryl Knipe »

Hi and thank you, Edwin.
Lovely!
Beryl.

Return to “Music”