Self-righteousness

Letters from those finding their way in faith.
William Woeger

Self-righteousness

Post by William Woeger »

So I have these thoughts of wanting to call myself good for being obedient, and I wonder if that is bad to do.

I am aware that I am not inherently good. I am aware that I am (and have been) corrupt. By God's grace my corruption is limited in some areas. I may want, but I don't steal. Now many times, I catch myself and keep myself almost immediately from wanting/lusting as well, which is a blessing.

The issue: I tell myself, "good." I think, "NO, not for you... I will BE good." and then I even feel good.. I feel like I am good for not doing bad.

Is that bad? Is that being self-righteous?

Sometimes, I think.. I'd rather do good with much discipline and thinking myself as good, even if it means being self-righteous... than have these other sins and vices.

I don't know how to weigh these sins. Why (and what) is being self-righteous and sinless.. worse than addictions and lusts and bad habits?

Brian McDonald

Re: Self-righteousness

Post by Brian McDonald »

William if it is the Lord acting in you, to do good, then what have you to boast of.

William Woeger

Post by William Woeger »

You're right Brian.

I would have nothing to boast of. Yes, the reality would be that it is the Lord's grace for me to walk holy.

William Woeger

Post by William Woeger »

Though I do believe the reality of God's grace, I still want to call it my own. I don't "feel" God's grace. But I do, in some kind of sense, "feel" my own determination to do the basics of His commandments. I want to call it God's grace, but I also want to say that it is ME choosing to do good.

But its not really me.. its God's grace. But why do I feel that it is me?

And I over think. I get stuck on thinking instead of doing. I get stuck on wanting to see the spiritual my own eyes, instead of faith. I analyze.. I start to figurin..

Brian McDonald

Post by Brian McDonald »

William said....

“And I over think. I get stuck on thinking instead of doing. I get stuck on
wanting to see the spiritual my own eyes, instead of faith. I analyze.. I
start to figurin.”

William, I would not presume to be your teacher or to know better than you or anyone at TPOT when it comes to matters of the spirit but I do know this much,,,,,I spent seven years trying to figure it all out and filled about 30 large note books or more with thoughts, theories and tears and just when I thought I had it all figured out, I fell flat on my face, no wiser than when I started. When we take to “figurin” analysing or over thinking a spiritual matter, or any matter, for that matter, all we are doing is arguing with the devil and that never ends good. Next time you get feeling or thoughts of your own self righteousness or our ability to be good or do anything good, say these words “get thee behind me Satan” and leave it at that.

Just my “analysis” :?

Dena M Dahl

Post by Dena M Dahl »

I don't know how to weigh these sins. Why (and what) is being self-righteous and sinless.. worse than addictions and lusts and bad habits?
I think self-righteousness is worse than those things you mention. Firstly, it credits us with having our own ability to be good although Scriptures declare there is none good but God.

Secondly, it is easy to see lust, for example, and know that it is wrong. Self-righteousness, on the other hand, is deceptive, appearing good when it is anything but.

Question, wouldn't addiction be a symptom of sin and not sin itself?

Victor Hafichuk

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

"When we take to “figurin” analysing or over thinking a spiritual matter, or any matter, for that matter, all we are doing is arguing with the devil and that never ends good."

Very true, and not only so, but worse - we are seeking his counsel, falling to his trap of feeding from the Tree of Knowledge (the carnal mind and attitude of independence from God's Spirit and revelation). We are siding with Satan against God to our detriment - indeed, demise, if we continue therein. It is death and hell due to unbelief. It is forbidden territory for the sojourner in Christ.

As a Christian, baptized in the Spirit, I was always trying to figure things out. I actually thought it was my responsibility to try to understand...that it was a good thing, at least. As Brian wisely puts it, I got nowhere, but into literal headaches and much confusion, grieving the Lord's Spirit.

Over the years (yes, years) a few prophets independent of one another (except that the Lord sent them to speak), including Marilyn, warned me that I was not to try to understand Him (all in the Theo-autobio Part 2 - read about it), else I would be tempted to throw it all away in frustration.

Trying to understand God and His doings with us is impossible for our carnal mind, which is at enmity with God, Paul (Romans 8) and other apostles and prophets declare. I had relative rest and peace when I repented of not trying to understand.

Victor Hafichuk

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

"Self-righteousness, on the other hand, is deceptive, appearing good when it is anything but.

Question, wouldn't addiction be a symptom of sin and not sin itself?"

As Dena rightly points out, there is sin and a state of sin. The state of self-righteousness isn't so easy to recognize, it being the prince of darkness' identity and glory. Yet the Lord is faithful to bear witness against and to chasten the proud one He has chosen to be His.

And yes, addiction is a symptom, the consequence of sin.

Off the subject - write "First," not "firstly," which of course goes for those which follow, as well; learned it in a book on how to write :), and makes sense.

Bertin Pelletier

Post by Bertin Pelletier »

church people are all the same self ritheous and living religiously on sundays and living like the devil on the rest of the week

William Woeger

Post by William Woeger »

Thanks everyone.

I woke up in the middle of the night.. and thought, "Just do good and thank God you can. Don't worry about trying to understand."

Beryl Knipe

Self-righteousness

Post by Beryl Knipe »

Hi all - thank you, Brian and thank You, Lord, for these words:

"I spent seven years trying to figure it all out and filled about 30 large note books or more with thoughts, theories and tears and just when I thought I had it all figured out, I fell flat on my face, no wiser than when I started. When we take to “figurin” analysing or over thinking a spiritual matter, or any matter, for that matter, all we are doing is arguing with the devil.."

The above words bring freedom! I've spent most of my adult life trying to "figure" it all out. Questioning, wondering, thinking, analysing, debating, writing, trying to answer my own questions. My goodness - what a self-righteous idiot I am!

Luk.11:4 "And forgive us(me) our(my) sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Beryl.

Terri Cabreros

Post by Terri Cabreros »

I really appreciated this thread of conversation.
"The above words bring freedom! I've spent most of my adult life trying to "figure" it all out. Questioning, wondering, thinking, analysing, debating, writing, trying to answer my own questions. My goodness - what a self-righteous idiot I am!"

Amen Beryl! As if we have anything in us worthy of even trying to "figuring it all out" in the first place.

I wish there was a "love it" button for each post written!

Return to “Finding Our Way In Faith”