Carter Conlon

Correspondence regarding various false teachers.
You can visit our false teachers section here.
Kerry

Carter Conlon

Post by Kerry »

I was just doing some googling and came across this very old post.
I don't want to get caught up in any controversy, I just wanted to share something.
I pray Tuesday nights at Times Square Church, and I attended that church about 20 years ago when Carter Conlon started preaching there. I know Carter Conlon's preaching pretty well.

My one comment to you has to do with your comment on his sermon, Beware the Angry Watchmen.
You did say you only watched part of it, and I, for some reason, came across the sermon a number of months ago and did watch the whole thing.

I'd just like to say that I believe it was a prophetic word. The Lakeland Revival with Todd Bentley happened several months after Conlon preached this word. Of course, the revival would have been in the works a couple of months before it happened.

Conlon's dream contained many images of fire, and the Lakeland Revival was led by Bentley's "Fresh Fire" Ministries and began at the "Ignited" Church. There was also a "Hearts of Fire" Ministry that began out of the Lakeland revival. The sermon highlights the scripture where the bride is beaten by the watchmen, and Bentley was known during that revival for kicking and beating on the people who came for healing.

Conlon also stated that he believed the message was about false revival.

That's all I wanted to say. I often wonder-- the dream Conlon had that prompted the sermon (and he clearly states in his introduction that he doesn't put much stock in dreams and visions-- but that he felt he had a word from the Lord)-- I wonder if, assuming it was a prophetic word-- the whole prophecy was fulfilled. The dream Conlon had showed three incidents/stages involving fire that got progressively worse. I wonder if all three stages were satisfied in the Lakeland Revival, or if there are more dangerous revival/tragedies to come.

I also want to say that in this fallen world of fallen people, there is never going to be a person (or persons) who/preaches/teaches perfect doctrine. I've been listening to Conlon for years. He does not endorse or justify anyone's sinning. He merely makes the true point that when you are sincere, and surrendered in Christ, only Christ-in-you can effect the changes in your person. It can't be done in your own strength. It is Christ that does the work.

Kerry

Paul Cohen

Re: Carter Conlon

Post by Paul Cohen »

Hi Kerry,

I don't see any connection between the Lakeland Revival with Todd Bentley and the charges Conlon attributed to the false prophets he saw rising up and casting stones at believers who were in the process of coming back to God. How do you see that applying?

As pointed out in my letter, Conlon made general statements that didn't give indicators with any specificity or clear instructions. It was meaningless spiritual drivel and puffery. Of course, his dream can be construed to mean any number of things about any number of people, but in the end, no one is edified or delivered from evil. On the contrary, Conlon's message justifies people remaining in their evil. That's also explained on our site.

Justifying evil was also the problem with Conlon's mentor, David Wilkerson, who preached against Babylon while remaining in it. Any preaching against sin was nullified by disobeying God's commandment to come out of Babylon and not receive of her plagues. And hypocrisy was added to sin, a very hateful thing to the Lord, incurring His wrath.

You don't recognize any endorsement of sin in Wilkerson's and Conlon's church because you haven't been aware of these gross sins. Read The True Marks of a Cult and Diabolical Doctrines in order to have your eyes opened to what's going on around you, Lord willing. You'll need His grace to see.

Certainly Conlon says some true things - the Devil always does. It's the way he hooks people into the fellowship of the damned. Satan comes as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14).

You're very wrong in saying God doesn't send ministers with perfect doctrine. The doctrine of Christ IS perfect, because it ministers Him Who is Perfect to those who hear the Word of His servants. This is the doctrine we preach, because we're sent to preach the Lord Jesus Christ, Who is the way, the truth, and the life:

2 Timothy 1:9-11 MKJV
(9) [God] has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His Own purpose and grace which was given us in Christ Jesus before the eternal times.
(10) But it is now having been manifested by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, Who has made death of no effect, bringing life and immortality to light through the Gospel;
(11) to which I am appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher of the nations.

How can those ministered to be perfected without a pure and true Gospel?

“…even as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it, that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, that He might present it to Himself as the glorious church, without spot or wrinkle or any such things, but that it should be holy and without blemish” (Ephesians 5:25-27 MKJV).

“And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the Gospel of peace and bring glad tidings of good things!'” (Romans 10:15 MKJV)

Paul Cohen
www.ThePathofTruth.com

Return to “False Teachers”