You're welcome! It's our pleasure in the Lord to see people experience liberty that comes by believing the truth in Him. Thank you for letting us know about how you've been helped. And what you express to your pastor about the false god he worships is so true - what a hideous monster!
There's something very important we can tell you, regarding what you've written in your letter. That much greater love of the Lord Jesus Christ you allude to, which far transcends man's capacity to love, is not only available TO us, but is something He places IN us.
Yes, it's true - this is the Good News! This is what His salvation is all about, here and now, because there's nothing good in any of us and furthermore, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it except by His grace.
Do you remember what Jesus said about man being good?
“And Jesus said to him, Why do you call Me good? None is good except One, God” (Luke 18:19 MKJV).
Here's what the Scriptures say about every one of us, including you and your pastor, who you say is a “good, good man”:
Romans 3:9-31 MKJV
(9) What then? Do we excel? No, in no way; for we have before charged both Jews and Greeks all with being under sin,
(10) as it is written: "There is none righteous, no not one;
(11) there is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God."
(12) "They are all gone out of the way, they have together become unprofitable, there is none that does good, no, not one."
(13) "Their throat is an open grave, with their tongues they have used deceit, the poison of asps is under their lips;
(14) whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness;"
(15) "their feet are swift to shed blood;
(16) destruction and misery are in their way,
(17) and the way of peace they did not know."
(18) "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
And on to the answer to our great need:
(19) But we know that whatever things the Law says, it says to those who are under the Law; so that every mouth may be stopped and all the world may be under judgment before God,
(20) because by the works of the Law none of all flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law is the knowledge of sin.
(21) But now a righteousness of God has been revealed apart from Law, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets;
(22) even the righteousness of God through the faith of Jesus Christ, toward all and upon all those who believe. For there is no difference,
(23) for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God,
(24) being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus;
(25) Whom God has set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness through the passing by of the sins that had taken place before, in the forbearance of God;
(26) for the display of His righteousness at this time, for Him to be just and, forgiving the one being of the faith of Jesus.
None of us chooses God - He chooses us. It's His work, Mary, all the way. The righteousness true saints (believers) walk in is His
righteousness, which comes by the faith He's given us:
(27) Then where is the boasting? It is excluded. Through what law? Of works? No, but through the law of faith.
(28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the works of the Law.
(29) Or is He the God of the Jews only, and not also of the nations? Yes, of the nations also,
(30) since it is one God Who will justify circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
(31) Do we then make the Law void through faith? Let it not be! But we establish the Law.
And what is the First Commandment of God's Law? Loving Him, the Lord your God, with all your soul, heart, mind, and strength. Can we do this acceptably to God? Not on our own, but we can through the Lord Jesus Christ, Who doesn't leave us wondering whether we will be “accepted into His House,” but we will know that not only are we in His House now, but we are
His House, built by Him.
Hebrews 3:4-6 MKJV
(4) For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God.
(5) And Moses truly was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken afterward.
(6) But Christ was faithful as a Son over his own house; Whose house we are, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.
We tell you these things not to condemn you, but to unburden you, if you can receive Him Whom we're preaching. There is so much more awaiting you, if you hear our words and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. You will be disillusioned with yourself and man, which God, in His mercy, will do for you because He is the Light of All Men Who comes to save you.
John 3:16-21 MKJV
(16) For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
(17) For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.
(18) He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the Name of the only-begotten Son of God.
(19) And this is the condemnation, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the Light, because their deeds were evil.
(20) For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
(21) But he who practices truth comes to the Light so that his works may be revealed, that they exist, having been worked in God.
Some writings that may help you:What Is Faith?Holy WatersRepentanceHow One Is SavedThe Church
Let us know how you do, Mary, and what happens after your pastor gets your letter. By the way, I didn't know they had pastors in Catholic churches. Am I missing something?