Questions about doctrine.

Letters from those finding their way in faith.

Questions about doctrine.

Postby Stephanie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:57 am

(This is an archived correspondence at The Path of Truth. We have sent notification to the correspondent.)

Hello

A family member mentioned to me about the path of truth in a passing conversation in early June. I normally don't talk about my spiritual beliefs with anyone as it has always caused so much animosity and it was always better to just 'tune others out' unless it was a topic I had very strong feelings on. So when she brought it up I was hesitant to truly listen, but the things she was saying to me were things that I had profoundly believed all of my adult life.

I grew up in a pentecostal church, went to a private Christian school, and went through the whole charade of the church life until I was about 18 or 19. That's when I started seeing things that I found to be wrong or went against the bible in my opinion. I finally spoke up and started asking questions. (Which to me challenging your faith is the only way to build up on it.) They took my questions for 2 days (in short emails that we're here and there)and then kicked me out of the church. That was when I had realized it was a blessing.

When my family member first told me about it she caveated with, ''it may cause you to question your beliefs or make you feel uncomfortable after being raised in church''. I took her at her word on that and it took me about a month to actually read from the website (I haven't read everything just some here and there). From what I had read everything was falling in line with the way I had already started believing, I didn't see much of anything that caused me to jump back and run. But I did end up with some of my own questions, they are more clarification on things I have read and would like to gain more insight.

If you have the time, because I don't want to bombard you with a long email, and would be willing to email me back and forth I would greatly appreciate it. I'm dyslexic, so email is easier for me than phone conversation since I can focus on the content and go back over it as I need to. Also my family just moved and we are in the state of chaos of getting the house set up and painted.

Thank you for your time in reading this already long email.

Sincerely hope to hear from you,

Stephanie
Stephanie

Re: Questions about doctrine.

Postby Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:17 am

Greetings, Stephanie,

Feel free to write us your questions, when you are able. If they're general questions about doctrine, you may post them on our forum.

Have we heard from your family member who told you about our website? Are you free to tell us more about that?

You talk about arousing animosity from others when speaking about your spiritual beliefs. It's not profitable to strive over doctrine, “about words to no profit,” but it's certainly worthwhile and a great honor to testify of the Lord Jesus Christ - let the chips fall where they may:

1 Peter 3:14-16 MKJV
(14) But if you also suffer for righteousness' sake, you are blessed. And do not fear their fear, nor be troubled,
(15) but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be ready always to give an answer to everyone who asks you a reason of the hope in you, with meekness and fear;
(16) having a good conscience, that while they speak against you as evildoers they may be shamed, those falsely accusing your good behavior in Christ.

Moreover, as you've already discovered, it is very healthy to be asking questions. Truth never comes without inquiry.

“Ask and you shall receive.” Asking is necessary, with faith and patience.

“Let it not be! But let God be true, and every man a liar; as it is written, "That You might be justified in Your sayings, and will overcome when You are judged.” (Romans 3:4 MKJV).

Questioning men is also necessary.

Paul and Victor
Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk

Return to Finding Our Way In Faith